The Library will close early Wednesday, November 23rd at 5PM and be closed Thursday November 24th and Friday November 25th for Thanksgiving and Black Friday. We will reopen Saturday November 26th. Have a wonderful holiday!
Category Archives: Uncategorized
10 Warning Signs of Alzheimer’s – Alzheimer’s Association Program
Tuesday, November 15th at 11AM
Aston Public Library/Gym
Register: https://action.alz.org/mtg/86743627 or call 800.272.3900
Alzheimer’s and other dementias cause changes in memory, thinking and behavior that interfere with daily life. Join the Alzheimer’s Association to learn about 10 common warning signs and what to watch for in yourself and others. The program covers typical age-related changes, common warning signs of Alzheimer’s, how to approach someone about memory concerns, early detection, the benefits of a diagnosis and the diagnostic process, and Alzheimer’s Association resources.
Presented by: Chari M. Alson, JD, CELA, Volunteer Community Educator, Alzheimer’s Association
Bingo to benefit Aston Public Library! Saturday October 22nd from 6-9PM. Doors open at 4:30PM. $25 admission. All cash prizes.
No one under 18 admitted. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
The Aston Public Library will be closed Monday, October 10th for Columbus Day. Sorry for the inconvenience and we hope to see you again soon!
The Friends of the Library are raffling off a 55 inch Sony TV! You can get a ticket for $5 at the service desk at the library. The raffle will be drawn on Aston Community Day (October 1st).
The Aston Public Library will be closed Monday, September 5th, 2022 for Labor Day. Sorry for the inconvenience and we hope to see you again soon!
We will be closed July 4th, in observance of the Independence Day holiday. Have a wonderful Fourth!
The Aston Public Library is seeking a tech-fluent and interpersonally effective person to provide service to our patrons. Duties include providing all types of service to our patrons, operating our circulation system, and record-keeping. Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent, strong computer and customer service skills and a love for libraries. Prior library experience is preferred.
Job description and compensation details are below. Submit letter of interest, resume and references to Stephen Sarazin, email@example.com .
ASTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
PART-TIME LIBRARY ASSOCIATE JOB DESCRIPTION
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Provides essential patron assistance at the service desk.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE POSITION:
Performs customer service, circulation, clerical and financial tasks, operates a variety of machines and software and assists with reference to help patrons use the library and its services effectively. Reports to the Director.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Registers patrons, issuing cards, updating records.
· Collects monies and issues receipts for all library financial transactions including rentals, overdue fines, lost or damaged materials, donations, book sales, printing etc.
· Checks out and checks in books.
· Shelves with 95% accuracy and shelf reads.
· Knows and correctly executes the opening and closing procedures, including locking the doors, arming and disarming the alarm, collecting and checking in materials from the book drop, pulling requested items from the shelves etc.
· Assesses materials for condition and refers them for mending or withdrawal.
· Prepares and mails overdue/reserve notices.
· Places book requests for patrons.
· Calls patrons to inform them of requested items received.
· Troubleshoots computer programs and machines.
· Maintains current training in areas of work, including staying current with practices in:
§ Online Catalog
· Conducts reference interviews and assists patrons with reference questions, knowing when to refer questions to the Director.
· Locates material in the catalog or in the building.
· Is professional and friendly in person, on the phone or in e-mail.
· Informs the public of library policies and procedures, including information about their own records or requests.
· Keeps bulletin boards and displays current.
· Files records by name or date.
· Supervises volunteers.
· Other duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Is committed to public service values: is patient and helpful with all patrons; cares about patrons and their needs
· Knows and follows library policy and procedures; accepts management’s direction when given
· Must be able to learn and meet the minimal competencies for telephone system, web site, staff email and wiki, and be able to operate and troubleshoot technology/software
· Knows and follows safety procedures, pointing out problems and keeping equipment in satisfactory condition
· Keeps informed on library issues: reads emails, attends staff meetings
· Keeps skills current and growing: attends required trainings, actively seeks opportunities to learn new things
· Shares knowledge and skills: documents procedures, trains others to do tasks
· Works well with others, including patrons, volunteers, and fellow staff
· Is flexible, has a good sense of humor about the irritations of daily work life, and respects the feelings and needs of co-workers
· Understands that change and evolving library procedures are constants in library work
· Is sensitive to patron privacy and intellectual freedom issues
· Is a good office citizen: submits timecard weekly, keeps work and break area clean, responds to emails and requests promptly, has a positive attitude
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Works effectively under stress with the public and co-workers.
· Demonstrates courtesy and empathy.
· Communicates well in writing and face to face. Performs essential clerical and math functions–filing, spelling, typing, adding, making change–accurately.
· Uses the Windows operating system, basic office software, web browsing and search engines skillfully.
· Shifts from one task to another quickly.
· Moves book trucks with 25 pounds of weight.
· Shelves books at heights between seven feet and floor level.
· Reads small print and computer screens.
· Handles monotonous tasks with fine detail accurately.
· Works independently and demonstrates good judgment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Moderate physical effort is required to perform duties under typical office conditions. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, speak, hear, and use hands to operate office equipment, and reach with hands and arms. Vision requirements include the ability to read routine and complex documents and use a computer.
SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS: Must be available to work day, night or weekend shifts. Must be available to work a schedule that fulfills the staffing needs of the desk. Must be punctual and dependable.
Example of possible hours :
Monday 2-8PM, Tuesday 10AM-4PM, Wednesday 10AM-2PM, Thursday 10AM-4PM, One Saturday per month 10AM-5PM
COMPENSATION: $13.50 per hour. Approximately 20 work hours per week. No benefits provided.
CLEARANCES: Satisfactory passage of FBI Criminal Record Check, Pennsylvania Criminal History and Child Abuse Clearances will be required every three years.
PROBATION: The position is probationary for one year and non-probationary afterwards.
Aston Public Library presents:
Summer Reading Programs
Wednesdays at 1:00pm
in the Aston Community Center GYM
June 22nd to August 17th, 2022
Free! No Registration necessary!!
June 22 – 1:00pm Tom Crowl- Ventriloquist
June 29 – 1:00pm Ed Schmitt- Magician
July 6 – 1:00pm Sciencetellers- Science Experiments
July 13- 1:00pm The Amazing Magi- Magician
July 20- 1:00pm Puppets Pizzazz- Puppet Show
July 27- 1:00pm Eyes of the Wild & Wallaby- Animal Show
August 3- 1:00pm Makin’ Music
August 10- 1:00pm Don Dougherty- Interactive Storyteller
August 17- 1:00pm Peter Moses- Singer-Storyteller
Aston Public Library
3270 Concord Road
Aston, PA 19014
For more information call: 610-494-5877
The library will be closed on Memorial Day – Monday, May 30, 2022. Have a wonderful holiday, and we hope to see you soon!