Thank you to the Library Foundation of Delaware County for their generous donation of eBooks and audiobooks for our library! Find these new titles in Libby by OverDrive. To learn more about the Foundation visit http://www.supportdelcolibraries.org .
The Library will be closed today (Saturday 3/12/22) due to the anticipated hazardous weather and snow. Please be careful and stay safe!
The Aston Public Library will be closed and have no services Monday, February 21st for Presidents Day. Sorry for the inconvenience and we hope to see you again soon!
The Aston Public Library is seeking a tech-fluent and interpersonally effective person to provide service to our patrons. Duties include providing all types of service to our patrons, operating our circulation system, and record-keeping. Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent, strong computer and customer service skills and a love for libraries. Prior library experience is preferred.
Job description and compensation details are below. Submit letter of interest, resume and references to Stephen Sarazin, email@example.com .
ASTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
PART-TIME LIBRARY ASSOCIATE JOB DESCRIPTION
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Provides essential patron assistance at the service desk.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE POSITION:
Performs customer service, circulation, clerical and financial tasks, operates a variety of machines and software and assists with reference to help patrons use the library and its services effectively. Reports to the Director.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Registers patrons, issuing cards, updating records.
· Collects monies and issues receipts for all library financial transactions including rentals, overdue fines, lost or damaged materials, donations, book sales, printing etc.
· Checks out and checks in books.
· Shelves with 95% accuracy and shelf reads.
· Knows and correctly executes the opening and closing procedures, including locking the doors, arming and disarming the alarm, collecting and checking in materials from the book drop, pulling requested items from the shelves etc.
· Assesses materials for condition and refers them for mending or withdrawal.
· Prepares and mails overdue/reserve notices.
· Places book requests for patrons.
· Calls patrons to inform them of requested items received.
· Troubleshoots computer programs and machines.
· Maintains current training in areas of work, including staying current with practices in:
§ Online Catalog
· Conducts reference interviews and assists patrons with reference questions, knowing when to refer questions to the Director.
· Locates material in the catalog or in the building.
· Is professional and friendly in person, on the phone or in e-mail.
· Informs the public of library policies and procedures, including information about their own records or requests.
· Keeps bulletin boards and displays current.
· Files records by name or date.
· Supervises volunteers.
· Other duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Is committed to public service values: is patient and helpful with all patrons; cares about patrons and their needs
· Knows and follows library policy and procedures; accepts management’s direction when given
· Must be able to learn and meet the minimal competencies for telephone system, web site, staff email and wiki, and be able to operate and troubleshoot technology/software
· Knows and follows safety procedures, pointing out problems and keeping equipment in satisfactory condition
· Keeps informed on library issues: reads emails, attends staff meetings
· Keeps skills current and growing: attends required trainings, actively seeks opportunities to learn new things
· Shares knowledge and skills: documents procedures, trains others to do tasks
· Works well with others, including patrons, volunteers, and fellow staff
· Is flexible, has a good sense of humor about the irritations of daily work life, and respects the feelings and needs of co-workers
· Understands that change and evolving library procedures are constants in library work
· Is sensitive to patron privacy and intellectual freedom issues
· Is a good office citizen: submits timecard weekly, keeps work and break area clean, responds to emails and requests promptly, has a positive attitude
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Works effectively under stress with the public and co-workers.
· Demonstrates courtesy and empathy.
· Communicates well in writing and face to face. Performs essential clerical and math functions–filing, spelling, typing, adding, making change–accurately.
· Uses the Windows operating system, basic office software, web browsing and search engines skillfully.
· Shifts from one task to another quickly.
· Moves book trucks with 25 pounds of weight.
· Shelves books at heights between seven feet and floor level.
· Reads small print and computer screens.
· Handles monotonous tasks with fine detail accurately.
· Works independently and demonstrates good judgment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Moderate physical effort is required to perform duties under typical office conditions. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, speak, hear, and use hands to operate office equipment, and reach with hands and arms. Vision requirements include the ability to read routine and complex documents and use a computer.
SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS: Must be available to work day, night or weekend shifts. Must be available to work a schedule that fulfills the staffing needs of the desk. Must be punctual and dependable.
Example of possible hours :
Monday 3-8PM, Tuesday 10AM-2PM, Wednesday 2-8PM, Thursday 2-8PM, One Saturday per month 10AM-5PM
COMPENSATION: $13.50 per hour. Approximately 20 work hours per week. No benefits provided.
CLEARANCES: Satisfactory passage of FBI Criminal Record Check, Pennsylvania Criminal History and Child Abuse Clearances will be required every three years.
PROBATION: The position is probationary for one year and non-probationary afterwards.
The Library will be closed Saturday, January 29th 2022 due to the anticipated snow storm.
The Library will be closing at 3PM today, Monday January 3rd, due to the snow.
The Library’s hours as of now are-
10AM-8PM Tuesday and Wednesday
10AM-5PM Thursday through Saturday
This week, the Library’s hours are-
Friday and Saturday CLOSED for the Holiday
Happy New Year!
The Library will be closed the following days over the holidays-
Thursday, December 23rd – Township Holiday
Friday, December 24th – Christmas Eve
Saturday, December 25th – Christmas Day
Friday, December 31st – New Year’s Eve
Saturday, January 1st, 2022 – New Year’s Day
Have a wonderful holiday season!